Monday, May 22, 2006

shubricoxkins





I decided to do four paintnings, each on one member of the unholy quadtich. My students were using national geographic covers as palettes. After they were done with them I would photograph them, edit out any visible words, have them blown up, put really elaborate frames around them and paint on top of them myself. My hope being to access some collective consciousness though misappropriating known images, filter them through the unconcious minds of my unsuspecting students, and try myself to tie it all together, with what I feel like was some pretty interesting results. Each one went in a completely different direction due to the requirements of the image, and marks already present. I was forced to work outside of my usual habits. Shubricoxkins had nothing to do with it actually, I just came across that listing in my old phonebook.

1 Comments:

Blogger BenS said...

hey guys thanks for your comments, Ill try to post some more for you teen-ho so you see your options. The frames came into play because I felt like each character was involved in some kind of inner psychological drama. I wanted them to feel enclosed in their own worlds. I guess they also become about how the viewer feels about the character though. I loved your inuit comment morg. Both death by eating and love are present though, I must agree with you. I also kind of thought of the shark as a rocket taking off or crashing if you look at it upside down (should try), I might eventually hang it like that.

8:07 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home